PESTO PASTA SALAD RECIPE
Leftover pasta?? Make it a salad with and amazing pesto dressing to die for. Add some sun dried tomatoes and more deliciousness.
- 2 cups of PENNE PASTA
- ½ cup chopped SUN DRIED TOMATOES
- 1 cup of crushed WALNUTS
- ½ cup of BLACK OLIVES
- ½ cup PESTO SAUCE (see recipe)
- 1 cup of FETA CHEESE crumbles
- Step 1 Start by cooking the pasta, then drain it and chilled it in running cold water or ice bath, After the pasta is chilled, make sure you drain it again, you don’t want any remaining water. Then add some extra virgin olive oil to the pasta and mix it, this prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Step 2 Next, you’re going to transfer the pasta into a large mixing bowl and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready tu make the salad.
- Step 3 To build the salad, get the pasta and top it with sun dried tomatoes, crushed walnuts and black olives, add the pesto sauce and mix everything gently.
- Step 4 Serve the pasta in a bowl and garnish with some feta cheese, finish with salt and pepper.
- If you aren’t going to serve the salad right away is better to keep it on a mixing bowl in the fridge, make sure is covered.
- You can add pieces of grilled chicken, shrimp, sautéed mushrooms, bacon or Italian sausage.
- If you want to serve this dish warm, don’t chilled the pasta, just drain it very well, add a ½ cup of warm cream, pesto sauce and the rest of the ingredients. Make sure you serve immediately.
This salad is one of those recipes I started making one day that I was low on ingredients at home, the only things I had were a bag of sun dried tomatoes, pesto dressing (that I always have because I make it), penne pasta and a dying bag of feta cheese, that was it. So, I made a salad and lunch was saved!
With time I started playing with the recipe and some versions happened with roasted chicken, canned tuna, grilled veggies and even grilled octopus (that was a really good day). For the recipe I’m showing here, I decided to go with walnuts and black olives, I’m trying to keep it lean from time to time.