MIXED GREENS SALAD RECIPE
Simple yet delicious mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette and a little french style preparation. Nice to serve all summer into fall.
- 8 cups of MIXED GREENS (Spinach, arugula, red leaf lettuce, frisee, watercress, romaine hearts)
- ¼ cup BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE (see recipe)
- ½ cup WALNUTS
- ½ cup CRANBERRIES
- 1 cup STRAWBERRIES
- 8 tbsp creamy GOAT CHEESE
- 8 slices of toasted SOURDOUGH BREAD
- 16 PEAR slices
- Step 1 In a large mixing bowl place, the mixed greens then add the balsamic vinaigrette and mix. Divide the mixed greens into 4 serving plates or bowls.
- Step 2 Make the crostini’s by toasting the sourdough bread and spread goat cheese on the warm bread.
- Step 3 On the plates with the mixed greens add the walnuts, cranberries and strawberries. Garnish with the crostini’s and pear slices, finish with some more balsamic vinaigrette if desired.
- If you find a good blend of premade mixed greens use it
- you can use candied walnuts instead of just plain walnuts
- Make sure you toast the sourdough bread and use it immediately, the goat cheese melts easier on warm bread
I don’t know about you, but it took me while to start enjoying goat cheese. I started liking it as an adult, I clearly remember traying it as a kid and did not go well at all. Now that I’m all grown up it’s one of my favorite cheeses to have. On the other hand, you have mixed greens which are always nice, my personal favorite combination of mix greens is spinach, arugula, red leaf lettuce, frisee, watercress and romaine hearts. I like to mix them all with my homemade Balsamic vinaigrette and then add whatever ingredients I have at hand. Considering that this salad is perfect for end of summer and kind of welcoming fall, you can use cranberries, walnuts, dry cherries or anything that you like. Now, the main event of this salad is not precisely the mix greens, is the GOAT CHEESE TOAST that goes with it. Warm sourdough toast with creamy goat cheese, I like Laura Chenel the best, the cheese gets very soft and the flavor comes out softly. Also, if you add a little drizzle of honey that toast reaches a whole new level.
Why don’t you try making this recipe and then go ahead and get creative, make your own salad choosing your own toppings, I would love to know what else is out there. For the moment, LET’S GET COOKING!!!