COBB SALAD RECIPE
Delicious and filling, a Cobb salad is a perfect sald for lunch to keep you going on a long day.
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped and seeded
- 1 Avocado in cubes
- 2 Chopped hardboiled egg
- ½ cup of Blue Cheese crumbles
- 8 Stripes of Crispy Bacon chopped
- 2 Grilled chicken breasts chopped in cubes
- 1 cup of Ranch dressing (see recipe)
- 3 Green onions chopped
- Step 1 Start by placing the chopped lettuce on a large mixing bowl and add some extra virgin olive oil and coarse salt.
- Step 2 Then transfer the lettuce to a serving bowl, this salad requires you to build it on the serving plate. Go ahead and place the tomatoes on one side of the bowl, then the avocados, the eggs, blue cheese, bacon and chicken.
- Step 3 Finish by topping the entire salad with ranch dressing and green onions and serve immediately.
- If you want to have the dressing on the side, mix the lettuce with a little of olive oil
- You can replace the chicken for shrimp, beef or salmon
- If you don’t have ranch dressing use blue cheese dressing or honey mustard
I remember being a skinny 20 year old working as a busboy for a restaurant in Washington-Connecticut, it was part of my internship program for Hospitality management so at this point I didn’t know much about American food, all I thought there was for American food were burgers and hot dogs (which I love).
One day something happened in the kitchen and by mistake they made an extra Cobb salad; the chef was in a good mood that day and so he let me have the salad. Within the first bites I was amazed that a salad could taste so good, I was used to lettuce, tomato and lime juice, this Cobb salad was something else. The combination of grilled chicken and bacon with the creaminess of the avocado, the freshness of tomatoes and all the greens coming together with a delicious ranch dressing!!! OMG I was hooked!!
Many years have gone by since that first Cobb salad, but every time I make one it brings my back to that salad and it’s still an amazing experience, I can truly say this salad open my eyes to what American food can really bring to the table.
So, why don’t you get some bacon in the oven and some chicken in the grill and make a delicious Cobb salad, LET’S GET COOKING!!